A liberal arts education refers to college studies that provide general knowledge and develop intellectual ability. This type of education can prepare you for many fields in today’s workplace.
Liberal Arts Education Benefits
- Prepares students to work in a variety of jobs. This is different from other types of education where students develop professional or vocational skills for a specific job. For example a Bachelors degree in Commerce prepares one exclusively for a career related to commerce or banking.
- Degree is appealing to employers. Employers like liberal arts graduates because they have the skills necessary to adapt in a changing workplace. Employers desire transferable skills (skills employees take with them to any job) typical of a liberal arts education. These include written and verbal communication skills and the ability to solve complex problems and work well with others.
- Provides an excellent foundation for graduate study in health care, law, business, or other fields. Graduate schools look for candidates who will succeed in graduate-level study. Students with a liberal arts background are appealing, because they demonstrate an ability to learn across a diverse field of studies.
- Creates graduates who are equipped with the skills to become valuable community members. The value of a liberal arts education goes far beyond its economic value. Graduates understand problems, generate solutions, and communicate those solutions to others. In many ways, a liberal arts education is education for life. It prepares graduates who can adapt and thrive in an ever-changing world.
- In the past, Indian students flocked to US liberal arts colleges for a quality education. Nowadays, more and more colleges in India are offering liberal arts style education, mostly private institutions. Ashoka and Flames are notable examples of liberal arts education in India.